These are some famous schools: ‘Five animals game’, ‘White crane school’, ‘Red fist’, ‘Soft school’, etc. Shaolin styles are very popular in different regions of China. Some schools appeared on the west, the USA, Canada and other countries. Shaolin’s boxing is getting popular in Russia.
Shaolin wushu requirements:
- Simplicity and rigid force;
- Straight and curved punches;
- Aside and up-n-down body movements, etc.
In Shaolin hand-to-hand fight internal (heart and mind, mind and Qi-energy, Qi-energy and force) and external (hands and feet, elbows and knees, shoulders and legs) work coordination is crucial. Shaolin methods can be described in a such way - ‘move as wind’, ‘stay as nailed’, ‘heavy as iron’, ‘light as a leaf’, ‘defend as a virgin’, ‘attack as a wild tiger’. There are practical rules: “furious outside – calm inside”, “to fuss on the east – to attack from the west”, “to point up – to beat from underneath”, “empty and full are used at the same time”, “there are methods for Yin, there are methods for Yan”. Moves are powerful and dexterous, the meaning is deep but simple.
Shaolin school is based on 6 principles:
- "Time" mastership has to be perfect.
- "Conformity": Qi-energy moves along with body
- “Courage” – is a decision. If there is chance to attack – do not hesitate, just do it.
- “Quickness” is a speed.
- “Fury” – movements must be powerful.
- “Authenticity” - do not train beautiful but empty movements.