Main Section. Types of breath.
1. Breath during “silent sitting” and meditation
2. Breath in Taolu and stroke technique
3. Recovery breath and cleaning breath
4. Special exercises for training breath
The lips are occluding, the mouth is closed, and the tongue touches the palate
The air comes out noisy when the strength is used
You will get inside yourself the unique
“Tsi of Created in the Beginning”
(The Master of wushu Li Ctsimin)
The principles of correct breath are explained in this song. They let you to store inside yourself the unique Qi of Created in the Beginning (cunyou-antsi) original, or natural, non-made energy of universe. An ancient proverb of the Masters of wushu says : “we train muscles, bones and skin outside and we train the unique Qi internally”. The last is trained mainly with the help of breath.
The school Tongbei does not give much information about breath. It underlines only the naturalness and the spontaneity of breath. However, common principles of breath exist for all styles and schools of wushu.
When snuffing, lips are occluding lightly and the tip of tongue touches up the alveolar socket, because such position of tongue involves streaming of energy along the profile lines of main meridians in a human body that results in the unit of the Superior and the Inferior Cinnabar Fields. The correct breath during the exercises provides moderate salivation in the mouth that prevents to have cobweb in the throat. That’s why the energy encircles along the meridians.
If you are a beginner in the wushu, bear in mind: your breath must be natural and spontaneous. Don’t accent your attention on it but you should use the lower type of breath (you should breath with belly). If you don’t breathe invisibly, your sparring partner will find out quickly the gap in your defenses appeared at the moment between the phases of inspiration and expiration. This fact is more important in a real scrimmage.
On the contrary if you see attentively after the breath of your opponent, you will view with fixed veracity when he is ready to start attack or to strike a blow. In this case it will be easier for you to tap lead, to lie on a pre-emptive strike and to make immediately offensive return.
Later everybody accumulating experience and developing his mastery finds out the form of breath suitable only for him. The “return” breath (as it called) is prevalent. When breathing in, the stomach retracts and the air accumulates in the breast first, but then it goes down with the Qi energy to the region of the Inferior Dentyne. In the context of “internal work” the perfect breath must stimulate the circular motion (known as Celestial Circulation) between the points Hoeing in the perinea region and the point Bahoeing in the vertical region. The phase of Accumulation of Force conforms to accumulation of Qi energy in the Cinnabar Field, the moment of the Emanation of Forces means outbreak of energy followed by concentrated expiration.
.In Tongbei such forced expiration and outbreak of energy followed by specific sound reminding the cry “Hum” (or “Hue”). It is realized with leaky lips and backed on diaphragm. The inhale is effected insensibly during pauses between strikes, during movements and collecting blocks.
This system of inhales and exhales in Tongbei is characterized for most of the traditional wushu schools. For example, in the song of Baguachjan School dedicated to the training of Qi and the secrets of breath it is said:
Make leaky your teeth and don’t open your mouth
If your mouth is open, the Qi will go out. Where will you take the force then?
You should know that Qi always stays in the belly.
Swing your hands and Qi will stream free.
Qi is moving lightly with all the moving and turns
And it penetrates wholly all the muscles and the joints
You need to train Qi in such way all day long.
Your body will be strong and your stomach will look like iron
The process of breathers may be divided into three stages: the combining of lung breath and diaphragm breath, the formation of so-called small circle in the region of peritoneum and, at last, the formation of big circle of lung and diaphragm breath. Accordingly breathers further Qi streaming about determinate points, which close on the big and on the small Celestial Circles. As a rule, breathers blend with pressure on the main vital points of body and impact on the groups of muscles for outbreak of expired air.
Breath is the base of psychophysical training that develops dormant energetic possibilities of organism.
Main Section. Types of breath.
1. Breath during “silent sitting” and meditation
“Silent sitting” (tsoguine)
All Neiguine exercises are divided into two types – static, i.e. performing stand fast without movements and dynamic, performing in motion.
Most of static exercises are performed when seated. They are known as “sitting exercises” (tszoguine). You can reach “achievement of mastery at rest” (tsizinguine). The Damo exercises (damogun) are also classified as “sitting exercises”. The standard position is the position of semi lotus when a man is having tuck seat on floor on a soft mat and having his heels as close to his body frame as it is possible.
Such practice let you support excellent mental health, distress, regulate the consciousness work and help you to do wushu exercises also. It is suitable for all ages.
1. Sit on a soft mat; put your heels as close to your body frame as it is possible. It does not matter which leg you have in front of you. Enclose your right palm into your left palm; the back of the right hand touches the internal region of the left palm. The thumbs are jointed; the both palms are near Dentyne. Have your back straight, your head equable, your eyes lightly sheltered. The tip of tongue touches up the alveolar socket. Hang your shoulders, weaken completely. Breathe regularly not to put into movement your breast and stomach.
1. It is possible to do the exercise not only in the position of semi lotus as described but sitting on a chair. In this case it is important not to lean against the back of the chair and to curve your legs at angle of 90°.
2. Attract attention on the field Dentyne, imagine that inhaling air comes there; however, your stomach must not move. Breathe as you do it commonly (physical breathing).
3. Abdominal breathing (stomach sticks out or stretches while breathing in and it enters into or sticks out while exhaling). Breath must be easy-tempered, keen, even, deep. You need to watch if your breath is soft and natural, without any violence.
You should clear your consciousness, remove all unnecessary thoughts. Attract attention only on the breath. In this impersonal state of senses imagine that the Absolute leads your breath, swinging it like a door being open and close. Opening means an inhale and closing means an exhale.
4. Do the exercises according the point 2. Now imagine the Qi goes out of Dentyne and surrounds your waist three times from left to right being a warm stream. Then repeat three times from right to left.
5. Mentally direct your Qi from Dentyne along the left side of your body frame till the region of your breast and then horizontally from left to right. At last put down the Qi backwards Dentyne along the right side of your body frame. Repeat three times. Then rise your Qi along the right side of your breast and put it down along the left side three times.
6. Imagine than Qi comes out from the left region of Dentyne, flows down along the internal flank surface of left leg till the central foot's point Uncian ("beating spring"), then rises up along the exterior surface of the leg and goes back to Dentyne. After that do the exercise for the right leg.
7. Imagine than Qi comes out from the left region of Dentyne, rise along the left flank surface of the body frame till the left armpit, goes along the internal arm's surface to the little finger, runs on the fingers and reaches the thumb.
Then it rises along the exterior arm's surface till the shoulder, goes along the back to the right shoulder, to the right armpit, and goes down the internal surface of the right arm to the little finger. It passes through the fingers to the thumb, raises the exterior arm's surface till the right shoulder and at last it goes backwards Dentyne along the right side of your body frame. Do the exercise three times.
8. Qi goes down to the central point Hoeing in the perinea region, and then rises up to the sacrum, traces to the central point Bahoeing in the vertical region along the dorsal median canal Dumai . It goes down to the point Tyantu along the nose, located between the clavicles on the central line and at last it goes backwards Dantyan along the anteromedian meridian Dumai. Doing the exercise you may feel that Dentyne starts to "boil up". Visualization of Qi's flowing along separate body's regions is possible on certain stage. Do this exercise in a clean well-ventilated room far away from unnecessary sounds. The best time for the exercises is early in the morning after waking up and late in the evening before going to bed. If this is hard for you, you can choose other hours for the exercises.
"Dzen sitting" and meditation:
One of the most leading Japan schools is Soto School. It considers the sitting meditation Dzadzen to be the most important in the "internal work". The methods of sitting are prevalent in different variations all over the East. In the canonical icons Buda contemplates sitting in the position of lotus. All his followers must do the same.
Dzadzen is formed by the procedures of the improving skills to do the position of lotus, improving breath and concentration. A man usually sits on floor and turns his face to a wall like meditating Bodhiham. He puts a soft mat or a pillow under himself not to get broken his circulation of blood. As rule two main positions: Cacafudza (what means lotus) and Huncafudza (what means semi lotus) are used. Burmanous and Japan positions are also known. The attention is attracted on the backbone that should not be curved. The breast does not stick out; the lower region of belly is debilitated and moved out a little bit. The basic body's weight concentrates in its lower region in that way. The shoulders must be dropped, the neck must be slack, the hands must be set with the palms down on your laps, and your thumbs must be closed softly. If you do all this, the effort will increase in the abdominal cavity, that it is necessary in this kind of practice.
In the Dzen system breath is compares to art. Usually five, four or even three inhales and exhales are done. A dzen master breaths so quietly and invisibly that fluff carried to his nose does not stir. They say that in dzadzen breath realizes through the skin.
Different kinds of breath teaching are used. For example, inhales and exhales are counted. When you breathe in, you should say "one", when you breathe out you should say "two" and so on till the end of a cycle. You may count only your exhales and miss your inhales or you can do it the other way. In the beginning of the studying you can count in a whisper but later do it to yourself.
hile breathing watch your diaphragm to take part in the work mainly, you should weaken the muscles for this. Breathe out as slowly as it is possible especially in the start stage. Make a little pause at the end of the exhale, and then do a äîâûäîõ bending the body frame (misogi practice)
Increased concentration of attention helps to remove the internal dialogue during the exercise, remove unnecessary thoughts preventing concentration. A change to the lower type of breath and slow snuffing connected with this promote the achievement of passive perception's vigilance, its "reflectivety" as it is said. Always it was the main object of psychophysical training of many schools of military arts in the Far-Eastern areas. Such state is compared with creative ecstasy of various people: actors, artists, calligraphers, poets and so on. In this connexion the figural expression of many dzen scholars becomes clear. It sounds like "the spiritual men's force comes from the lower region of the stomach".
II Breath in Taolu and stroke technique
Movements, a look and spirit in Taolu
In Tongbei breath is characterized by the formulas "the energy of Qi reaches the depth" and " the energy of Qi goes down to Dentyne". It is why breath is conjoined with duration of the exercises and with stimulation of physical effort that is expressed by the formula " the energy of Qi stimulates the force". Tongbei complex is compound in its structure, it is done quickly and is notable by large volume of movements, that is why requires a big amount of oxygen. If you do not manage perfectly the abdominal breath with the "lowering of Qi to Dentyne" and do not use it, you can achieve surface breath and as a result interruption of breath, breakdown of Qi circulation and blood circulation. Surface breath will result in the internal emptiness (without energy Qi), will evoke constraint the vital energy – Qi that will reduce to deficient arrival of oxygen, the last one excites the deficiency of the force. Consequently a movement cannot be prolonged and breath rapider. Total: dizziness and heartache appear , paleness appears, and throat becomes dry, coordination breaks. That is why you should use abdominal breath and polish up "growing of Qi".
Besides "deep" (Chan) breath three more types of breath are usåd: Ti ("to rise"), To ("to prop up") and Tcsui ("to concentrate"). The totality of these types of breath is named "Ti to tcsui chan". The kind Ti is used during work's change from lower positions to upper positions, the kind To is used in static state of upper and lower positions. Doing rough short movements you ought to use the kind tcsui, during the change from upper positions to lower positions the type Chane is used. These kinds of breath used subject to change of disposition of the movements are subordinated to the main requirement:"the energy Qi must reach the depth". At the same time breath must be physical and natural, you must not tune it up the movements.
Movements of body frame become form of movements of waist mainly ("vivid waist gives birth to fast movements").
Masters of wushu say: "Movements must look like a serpentine snake".
In Taolu eyes follow a palm; you should be attentive to the realizing form. When you finish the movement, your eyes look at the point in the direction of the movement.
Eyes are full of spiritualism, spirit comes out of eyes.
You must not close the eyes, keep them open as you find a thing suddenly having opened your eyes. You should not look forward as there is nothing in front of you.
The spirit must full your body. The joining Tsin-shen ("seed-spirit"); the spirit fills the space. It must be expressed on the face, i.e. the face must be calm, but there must be secret demonstration of angry somewhere on the face. No other feelings on the face! At the same time your expression of face must conform to the disposition of the movements.
Types of breath in Taolu:
1. The rising type of breath (Ti). In this case the lower region of belly rises up as it "pumps over" the air located below to the breast. At that the centre of gravity rises up, that is used in jumps and during changes from lower to upper stance.
2. The propping up type of breath. It is used during even movements from stable positions. In this case the central region of body realizes breath. The opening of arms from the position Gunbu is an example.
3. The concentrating type of breath (Tsoi). An accent is done on the phase of exhaling with concentration and lowering Qi in the region of Cinnabar (the lower Dentyne). Usually this type of breath accompanies with a short sound, at this own kinds of cries and exhales exist in each school of wushu. However, in any way breath must be natural and must follow rhythm and pattern of given formal complex (Taolu).
It is supposed that so-called archetypes or archetype phonemes are in base of such outcries and other specific sounds made during Taolu. Initially they result from the nature itself of any movement, its battle interpretation and aim direction. For example, a brief sound “To!” is conformed by a foin, if you make a clipping cut with a sword, it is conformed by the sound “Zzzz…” These sounds active adequate associations in a human provoking definite state of consciousness, the last one influences in correct realization of definite technique.
Blocks and strikes:
Commonly blocks and strikes in Tongbei (as it was noted earlier, see the fragments II.3.4 and II.3.5. represent the organic whole, at this case the block is companied with an exhale as it does a stroke.
1. At the moment of striking exhale sharply the air of about one third of total lung capacity coarcting the throat and pressing the tongue against the hard palate. Then you should quickly stopped and do the äîâûäîõ” in contact, force diaphragm and put down the Qi in Dentyne. The lowering of Qi combines with the support of breath in the phase of exhale. The air seems to “drive” down; it goes down to the lower region of lungs. It does not bail out through the nose or the mouth, that’s why a definite vocal vibration in the result of intention is possible. For example, a lot of Chinese masters of the school Tongbei accent effort making a specific brief outcry “Hum” (or “Hoo”) while they practice their strokes and doing Taolu.
2 Other strokes exist. They are made with full concentration of force at the moment of contact. At then the stroke is done with brief outcoming of air and with cry in the result of stripping the diaphragm and rib approximating. The exhale can be done through the nose and the mouth at the same time. Such strokes usually finish the attack when your partner is found open and cannot defend.
3. Each stroke is done while breathing in with a short stopping of breathing, if you make series of strokes.
4. The maximum concentration of energy is reached at the moment of separation of the striking hand from the aim, not at the moment of contact in the unique strikes.
The breath is realized in the follow way: a wave of energy is sent from the lower region of stomach together with a quick stroke into the point of contact during the after inhale pause. The stroke must be companied by the full relaxation of muscles. Mobilizing all your interior resources and concentrating your consciousness on the throwing your energy to the partner’s body you will draw your hand back immediately with brief exhale.
III. Recovery breath and cleaning breath
Polarity and change of breath
Polarity of breath. The change of breathing cycles occurs about every two hours. In (positive) breath is realized through the right nostril, it corresponds with total state of physical rise and exercise capacity. On the contrary if you breath through the left nostril, you should low your exercises at this time. At last breath through the both nostrils disposes to the sensory and meditation practice.
The energy is bipolar, that is it has positive component (yan) and negative component (in). The correlations of these components determine the energetic balance in the human organism.
Some examples of recovery breath
Starting position put your footsteps parallel to each other on shoulder-width distance, keep your head equable, don’t thrust out chest, legs are bent, throw up your hands free. Look forward or forward plus down.
The 1-st variant of recovering (sichuhu):
Raise your arms bent from the starting position. Cross the armlets doubling fists on the level of chest and bending forward the body frame. Do brief exhale through the nose at the same time turning your knees inside. The fore foots are turned outside. The shoulders are a little behind and the lower region of belly protracts. Doing inhale gather mentally the Qi of body and the “exterior Qi” in he lower part of Dentyne (3-4 cm lower than omphalus).
The 2-d variant of recovering:
Doing warm up and the main part of training recovery breath is recommended to recover efficiency. Raise your hands slowly in plane of the body having your palms up. Do it with inhale till the position “above head”. Then turn your palms down and lower them fluently in front chest erecting your hands and recline them against imaginary table on the level of your belly.
Do inhales and exhales through the nose. The lips are occluding lightly; the tip of tongue touches up the alveolar socket
You should watch your breath to be natural and spontaneous without any effort. At the same time you rise the hands and turn the body frame a little to the right. Thereafter an exhale and lowering the hands are companied with the turn of body frame to the left.
The 3-d variant of recovering:
Do a brief and noisy inhale and put your clenched fists in the position “embracing fists” (byatsuan) in the level of upper regions of hips. Then throw your hands abruptly with the palms up in front of you. Clench and unclench the fists two or three times with more effort putting the Qi down. After that make a pause during some seconds and lower the hands with palms down fluently while exhaling as you “press” the air and “drive” it to the lower region of lungs.
While exhaling the air does not come through the nose and the mouth but it goes to the lower region of lings by conation.
IV. Special exercises for breath training.
“Standing as a post” ascends to antiquity, to the system Dachntsuan. It divides to the two directions – “standing as a post in diligent cultivation of life” and “military post”.
Exercise 1. “Standing as a post in diligent cultivation of life”:
This is a curative, healthful and build method that is similar in appearance with regularities of development of a tree with mighty roots. It does not require not special room, neither special equipment. It is better to do it in fresh air, at a quiet deserted place. However, its effect will not be less if you stay in a room that answers purposes of lessons. You can do the exercises in any time. It is recommended to include this exercise in your morning exercises and start it with the “standing as a post”. Distinctive features of these exercises are simplicity, efficiency, reached in a short time and especially high in the curing of such chronic diseases as nervous debility, gastritis, colitis, coronary heart disease and in the case of delicate constitution, cold in extremities and etc.
1) Postures in the exercises “Standing as a post in diligent cultivation of life”:
Great many varieties of the postures in the exercises “Standing as a post in diligent cultivation of life”. But all of them are to the following effect: “natural standing”, “standing of three circles”, “standing with pressing down” and “mixed standing as a post”
They can be divided according their complexity to three types: “standing as a post” of high, medium and lower stand. The stand-up assumes a little knee flexion that does not require a big effort. It intends for old people and also for persons of delicate constitution. Doing the medium stand knees flex at the angle 130. This befits to those who has got rather good physical abilities. The lower stand requires to flex knees at the angle 90 and it befits to health people or those who have repaired his health.
1. “Natural standing as a post”: egs shoulder-width apart in parallel to each other, keep your head equable and do not puff out chest. Flex a little knees and put your left palm down on the belly, put your right palm down on the left one. Look forward or forward plus down.
2. “Standing of three circles as a post» is grouped into “holding a ball and “embracing”. The first one assumes a little arm rounding and the second one assumes a big arm rounding.
“Holding a ball stand”: arms form a semicircle it seems they hold a ball at the distance of about 30 cm in front of the face. Look forward or forward plus down.
“Embracing stand”: arms seem to embrace a tree, hands are in front of chest at the distance of about 60 cm. Look forward or forward plus down.
3. “Standing as a post with pressing down”: arms are crouched; fingers are separated and directed forward. Fore arms are in parallel to floor, palms are reversed down. Look forward or forward plus down.
You can choose any stand: up, medium or low according your heath"
4. “Mixed standing as a post": doing this version of "post" arms consistently change their position. Standing in each of these poses can borrow from one minute (at the initial stage) up to 10 mines (at the subsequent states).
The basic requirements to stand " standing as a post ": feet are in parallel to each other; legs shoulder-width apart; an upper region of body frame is straightened; a head is kept equally, directly; lips and teeth are occluding; breast is slightly retracted, back is stretched; shoulders and elbows are lowered; all body is weakened as much as possible; legs are bent so that the knees do not support the line of their socks.
2) Breath in the exercise “Standing as a post in diligent cultivation of life”:
1. Physical breath (breathe easily as you have got used to do it usually).
2. Belly breath (while inhaling the stomach is stuck out or involved, while exhaling it is accordingly involved or stuck out). Breath should be quiet, thin, equal, and deep. It is desirable to do the exercise under the direction of a teacher.
3. 3. While breathing mentally collect the body Qi and "the external Qi" of the lower region of Dentyne. During an exhale move the collected Qi to the points Yunciane on the soles of feet, and then lift again it to the Dentyne, etc. It is necessary to watch, that breath was soft and natural, without any slight effort.
3) The concentration in the exercise "Standing as a post in diligent cultivation of life":
The ways of the concentration in "Standing as a post" can be the following:
1. Enter into the image of a child. Refresh in memory pleasant episodes of the childhood, darling and familiar people. You should not think about things that cause fear, a fright and other negative emotions. This way is especially recommended to beginners.
2. Keep mind on the lower region Dentyne or on the points Yuncian.
3. Move attention from one chosen point to another following inhales and exhales, for example, from the region of Dentyne to the points Yuncian.
4) The dynamic work in the exercise “Standing as a post in diligent cultivation of life":
1. Straighten the legs slowly. Simultaneously lift the palms up while breathing in. When the wrists achieve the level of neck, turn the palms downwards and lower the arms on an exhale (as your palms press something) till the level of stomach. Repeat 8 times
2. Straighten legs slowly. Simultaneously lift the palms up while breathing in. When the wrists achieve the level of neck, allocate the palms behind the head and continue to rise the hands up to the level of the top, then turn the wrists to make your palms down, put them in front of the head and slowly lower, exhaling, to the stomach. Repeat 8 times.
3. After the end of the exercise pound the palms for amplification of effect. It is possible to execute also massage of the head (smoothing down hair) and the face ("washing"). Repeat 24 times.
The choice of the first or the second way of the end of the "Standing as a" is voluntary.
1. From the beginning and up to the end of the exercise keep slackness. There should be a weak smile on the face. During the "Standing" it is not necessary to trace arising sensations.
2. At the first stage of doing exercises beginners are recommended to apply the natural breath, the first way of the concentration and " Standing with pressing downwards " in the high stand.
3. During all the time exercise it is necessary to keep the chosen pose doing exercises. Any movements are not supposed.
4. If you feel heat, warmly, numbness in any part of the body, muscular twitching, trembling of fingers or legs it is not necessary to worry: it is the usual phenomenon at Chi kung lessons. You simply should not pay attention to this.
5. There can be a sensation of cold in one shoulder and heat in the other or even you can feel cold in the half of body and heat in the other one. All this happens because of non-uniform distribution of the Qi in the organism. As lessons continue this thing passes. But in the case when cold is felt in all the body, it is necessary to stop lessons immediately, to warm the hands and the face in warm or hot water. Continue doing exercises the next day.
6. You should not do exercises at strong wind in open air. It is possible to do it at weak wind; in this case it is necessary to stand back to the wind. It is necessary to watch the air to be fresh when your lessons take place in a room.
7 You should not do exercises if you are hungry too much, within two hours after meal, in the condition of strong exhaustion.
8 You should not drink water right after the lessons, take a shower, eat, and be switched to the vigorous activity. It is better to resemble easy, finishing employment for 20-30 minutes.
After acceptance of the stand (the legs are already bent) it is necessary " to approximate perineum" (Den). For this purpose it is necessary:
- To dissolve and reduce knees slightly;
-To pick up the stomach, slightly having involved muscles of the stomach higher the pubic bone;
- To involve the sphincter muscle of anus mentally (i.e. extremely easy);
- to weaken the waist. To achieve this it is possible to have presented yourself sitting or as though "suspended for the top", or slowly falling on your hunkers.
The relaxation of waist is closely connected to knee - bending, relaxation of hips, « rounding of perineum". All these movements should be carried out smoothly so that one passes in another. This is the key requirement; otherwise the Qi cannot freely circulate over the body channels. It follows:
To pick up the breast, but do not stoop;
-To straighten your back, to straighten the shoulder blades a little and not to extend in a string;
-To lower the shoulders and to submit them hardly forward. There should be such sensation, that they overhang;
-To lower the elbows and to astride them slightly sideward;
-To weaken the wrists, to unlink fingers freely;
-To weaken the armpits, the hands should be in such position, that between the forearm and the armpit there is a certain distance (such to place an egg);
- To suspend mentally the head on its top for what to pick up the chin and to submit the head slightly with the point Beihuegh (the tip of top) upwards;
-To cover eyes (but not to close them absolutely), this promotes the general relaxation;
-To close the teeth and the lips (but not to compress them), it will interfere with the expiration of "the internal Qi" in environment;
-To rest easily the tip of tongue against the palate near the alveolus (cusps behind the upper teeth). The muscles of face are as though they are ready to gather in a smile (mentally to smile). It promotes relaxation of the internals, achievement of calmness.
Having executed all these requirements, it is possible to start the basic exercise.
"Standing as a post" is one of the most popular and universal techniques; it is used in the medical improving purposes and as an integral part of many wushu and Taitsitsuan systems. The technique is noted for simplicity and efficiency.
However it is necessary to follow all the recommendations, to finish the exercise correctly. You should not be aimed on immediate success during the lessons.
It is necessary to understand: "deviations" are possible even if you try to observe all the requirements and instructions. To work with the Qi and Dentyne is not easy. If toy want to “stay” correctly with a teacher or without him you need individual experience, and not only positive, but also negative especially in the last case
Exercise 2. "The fighting post ":
" Internal work " in Tongbeitsuan and many other styles of traditional wushu is based on the knowledge of receptions Chi kung that means a skill in accumulation of the Qi energy. The techniques of wushu "will be dead" without it and will represent usual gymnastics, or it will reduce to the receptions of hand-to-hand fight. Therefore each training in wushu should begin and come to the end with Chi Kung that includes enough exercises. First of all, it is necessary to begin with static Chi kung, carried out standing still. The basic preparative exercise in Tongbeitsuan is " The Fighting post ". It is directed on working off of Qi circulation in a body and use of "emission of force" (Fatsin) from feet through a waist, shoulders, hands. The explosive work of legs (Tanto) is determinate here as the majority of impacts in the combination of blocks and circular settling of hands in this style is supplemented and strengthened by the work of legs, directing and concentrating a pulse in the final phase of m ovement.
All the general provisions concerning the position, the arrangements of a head, legs, hands, backs are similar to the previous exercise.
Rise directly, legs shoulder-width apart, feet are in parallel to each other.
Imagine, that your head is suspended to the sky and it is not inclined in the sides. The shoulders are lowered and completely weakened. The neck, the backbone and the central point of perineum Hoeing are on one line. The hands are freely lowered along the hips. The legs are slightly bent; the toes are bent a little, as you grasp the ground with them. The eyes are occluding; the tongue the tongue touches the palate. This position allows to open the meridians of Qi circulation having established the communication between the top (the point Baihuei), the lower Dentyne and the central point of feet Uncian
Breathe naturally and easy, while breathing in compress and strain the stomach a bit little, while breathing out increase it, lowering the Qi to the Dentyne. Then both palms inverted inward slowly rise to the level of the medium region of stomach. The arm are slightly bent in elbows, the palms are as if the hold a ball. The fingers are a little bent, the little fingers are straight and allocated in the sides, there is characteristic depression in the center of palms.
The distance between the palms is 20-30 cm. Hold in attention the point Lagun in the center of palms, mentally connect them with a gold ray of light. Feel heat in the palms slightly turning them one concerning another as though you overturn a sphere, which you have in your hands.
Mentally present, that the inhaled air falls in Dentyne. Thus the energy of Qi rises along the posteromedian meridian, and then on an exhalation rises upwards to the anteromedian one. Do some similar respiratory cycles, the number of recurrences multiply 8 is usual, i.e. makes 16, 24 and more.
Exercise 3. Dynamic work in stands -still position:
Leave the hands in the same position, however now do is as you mix viscous clay, not losing the sensation of communication between the palms. Mentally imagine a brightly luminous sphere in the Dentyne region, transfer there weight and try to roll this sphere in a horizontal plane together with rotary movements of the palms. At the same time make low-amplitude circular movements by hips. In some minutes you will feel, that movements of hands, legs and body frame occur as though spontaneously, irrespective of you.
As soon as you have this sensation, send on an exhalation the energy to the points of feet Uncian, make wavy movement by the body frame, "swallowing a breast" and rounding the back. Raise heels, exhale, sharply strike legs in the ground, sending a pulse simultaneously through the hips, shoulders, elbows to the points Lagun of the both hands, pushing the palms forward. The look is directed forward after the tips of fingers. This movement is made on an exhalation. During a push strain hands, as though doing a slap, leaving a print on an invisible surface. Submit forward the points Laogun, directing through them the energy.
Repeat the whole exercise several times
This exercise considerably raises the general vitality of organism, sensitivity of hands, explosive power of impacts, and also coordinates the work of legs and whole body.
The last exercise is possible to be added by moving of stands Tsilinbu forward and back. For example, you can move forward from the left- sided Tsilinbu to the right-sided one, sharply striking with the right foot going forward (Tanto) and directing the energy to the point Uncian. It is important to apply the principle of "openings" and "closings" in the movements. While pushing the palm forwards to direct the energy through the feet, legs, shoulders and elbows to the points Laogun. While exhaling through the close lips, to send the Qi energy mentally to the region of Dentyne.
It is possible to diversify the exercise, including in it the Tongbei hands techniques: instead of a push forward to use bungs by palms with subsequent "pricks" by elbows (Dinchshou). For example, to finish a movement, throwing a hand from below, as though "suspending" it (Kua).
The exercise " Ui-di! " for the "support" of breath:
This bringing exercise with the name " Ui-di!" is done for the statement accented abdominal exhalation (or as speak, on the statement of "support"). The term is frequently used at schools of theatrical skill, among actors, singers and everyone who by virtue of the professional work should speak, sing much and in general strain a throat.
Being inclined downwards and stretching the right hand for an imagined stone, you say a sound (in exhalation): "U-u-u-u-j…". Continue to leave saying the same sound until the hand does not rise on the level of shoulder simultaneously with straightening the body. Sharply "throw" this imagined stone forward in front of you saying a loud outcry: "Di-i-i..!", finishing the phase and finishing the exercise. Repeat the exercise 8 times. Do the same «throwing a stone» by the left hand.
Taking of the energy with the help of the control of breath:
The taking of energy is carried out with participation of the thought, without strong-willed effort - (the quiet order is given).
1 week of lessons. The exercises are to carry out 3 times a day for 10-15 minutes. First it is necessary to concentrate on the importance of these exercises, on the development of power abilities (5 minutes).
To achieve absolute relaxation. Cyclic breath: 8 sec. – an inhale, 8 sec. - a pause, 8 sec. - an exhale
2 week of lessons.The exercises are to carry out 3 times a day for 15 minutes. The preparative work is similar to the previous cycle (5 minutes).
To achieve complete relaxation. Cyclic breath: 10 sec. - breath through the left nostril, 10 sec. - a delay of breath, 10 sec. - an exhalation through the right nostril (two respiratory cycles in a minute).
3 week of lessons. The exercises are to carry out 3 times a day for 20 minutes. The preparative work is similar to the previous cycle (5 minutes).
To achieve absolute relaxation. Cyclic breath: 15 sec. - breathe through the left nostril, 10 sec. - a delay of breath, 15 ñåê. - an exhalation through the right nostril (two respiratory cycles in a minute).
4 week of lessons. The exercises are to carry out 3 times a day for 30 minutes. The preparative work is similar to the previous cycle (5 minutes).
To achieve complete relaxation. Cyclic breath: 20 sec. - breathe through the left nostril, 10 sec. - a delay of breath, 20 ñåê. - an exhalation through the right nostril (two respiratory cycles in a minute).
The correlation of the phases of respiratory cycles can change depending on your condition.
After each 10 cycles, since the 2-nd week to change the nostril (right nostril to the left one and on contrary).
Breath and training of arms:
Below 8 exercises are resulted: 6 - for the development of sensitivity of fingers, 2 - for hands.
1. To lower fingers downwards, to feel their weight, to hold in attention each finger separately. Hands are at the level of Dentyne.
2. Mentally to gather the energy, to charge the palms. The left hand is to be turned with palm upwards; the fingers are slightly bent and dissolved. The right hand is above the left one and is also in parallel to the left, it is with the placed and slightly bent fingers.
à) To make circular movements by the right hand on clockwise (a dial - the left palm inverted up) so that nail phalanxes of fingers pass on the edge of the palm and the ends of fingers. The movement of the right hand is not uniform: it is accelerated at passage above the fingers of the left hand and slowed down at the approach to the basis of the palm. The hands move as though they mix certain viscous power substance that is taking place in the palms. The taking of the energy is carried out mainly with the right hand. Further to dump the energy from the palm of the left hand, for what to bring together the little finger, anonymous, average and index fingers and to lead softly their nail phalanxes, hardly concerning from top to down on all big finger of the left hand;
b) Not to dump the energy from the left hand, but mentally "to overtake" it to the left palm;
c) To overtake the energy through a humeral belt from the right palm to the left one, then to the leg, etc.;
d) The left hand is knuckled without effort and lowered downwards. The right hand is semi-bent and is extended forward at the level of breast. The palm is parallel to the body, the fingers are slightly bent and disposed. Imagine, that the left palm is against the right palm. Rotate the right palm clockwise concerning imagined left. The movements of palm are non-uniform, as well as in the exercise of the taking of the energy.
Doing rotary movements the center of the palm (the point Laogun) and the tips of fingers allocate energy;
e) The right palm with disposed fingers makes rotation clockwise above the sole of the left leg (a dial - a sole). The sole is charged by energy mainly. "To let pass" mentally the energy from the sole of the left leg to the right one, then to the hand, etc.
Usually the male hand giving energy is the right one. The left hand is shielding (at treatment), i.e. perceiving. At biodiagnostics three fingers of a hand are used, as a rule: index, average and anonymous.
Breath and training of the sensitivity of fingers:
One hand is motionless, another one makes movements. During the exercises you should not loss the touch between the hands. It is necessary to imagine current of energy figuratively, to concentrate attention to the sensations in the fingers (warmth, pricking).
1. Fingers of the mobile hand make circular movements around the tips of fingers (up to the basis of nail) of the motionless hand. First the little finger moves around the little finger, then, the ring finger, average finger, etc. - all the fingers are fulfilled one-by-one. During the training the other fingers should be set aside slightly and slightly bent not to put them into work.
2. The tips of fingers resist each other. The rotation of fingers of the active hand is made similarly to item 1. Carrying out heliciform movements, fingers set on the distance of sensitivity and then again reduce.
3. The palms are parallel each other. The finger of the mobile hand is located above the finger of motionless hand in such way that their nail phalanxes are surpassed only. The rotation of fingers of the active hand is carried out only within the limits of the finger-pad of the motionless finger (see item 1), lifting and lowering the finger.
4. The tips of resisting fingers settle down against each other; the finger of the mobile hand makes sharp pendulum movements concerning the motionless one with a delay at passage of the tip of finger. All fingers are worked serially.
5. The fingers of one hand rotate around the tips of fingers of another one. In the beginning wide circles around the tips of fingers are done, then circles are narrowed, and the fingers get divorced on some distance from each other. Then the finger of active hand starts to approach and delete alternately, as though rendering sharp impacts on the tips of fingers in the area of nails.
6. The palms are bent so, that four fingers are opposed the one big. The mobile palm makes circular movements, in the beginning passing serially the big finger, and then four finger of the motionless hand that are opposed it. It is possible to make oscillatory movements serially, passing the fingers of the motionless hand inside the bent mobile palm. Movements grasp only the tips of nails.
Exercises for development of the palm sensitivity:
1. The shoulders are freely lowered downwards, the elbows are closed as far as it is probably and fixed on the bottom part of the thorax. The palms are in parallel to each other, the fingers are moved slightly apart. The palms make fluent oscillatory movements (under influence of biofields) and get divorced gradually for the width of shoulders. In doing this the feeling of interaction (contact) between the palms is kept. Then the palms are brought to the starting position.
At the division of the palms make two fluctuations inside, and then one wider in the parties. At approach of the palms do it on the contrary: the wider fluctuation inside.
2. The palms are unfolded under the attitude to each other at an angle (cross crosswise) and bent as if a sphere is enclosed in them, the fingers are a little bent and divorced.
Imagine, that the sphere presses on the lower palm, in doing these hands make two or three oscillatory movements lowering downwards under the weight of the sphere.
Then lift hands to the starting position, softly throw the sphere from the palm in a palm and to repeat movement already concerning other hand. By transfer of a sphere from a hand on a hand of a palm are developed so that tips of fingers of one hand passed another above tips of fingers. To imagine, that hands are the hoses passing energy. For leading energy to brushes of hands follows, costing on a place, slightly to shake them here and there, filling mentally hands energy. Exercise for opening in palms of power outputs: To sit down and lift palms on a level of a breast with the bent elbows, then to close. Palms and fingers of hands adjoin with each other. After that to concentrate the attention to palms, imagining the stream of energy, which is taking place through palms. Exercise in the beginning is carried out long enough time (up to 45 minutes) to make active power outputs in palms (to cause "breakdown" of power outputs in palms). Additional remarks:
1. Breath of the person is subdivided into three levels: - Average. It is usual type of breath in a daily life, in a natural condition of an organism; - High, or full. So the person breathes at strong loadings, at "prorolling" easy (ventilation, saturation by oxygen of blood, a set of energy); Low. Such breath is applied at disposal of oxygen in an organism, saturation by his carbonic acid when the person is completely weakened.
2. For the best mastering peep after meal it is necessary to make some respiratory cycles: usually right easy and through the right nostril (that makes active the acid environment for Allocation of alkaline juices).
3. At walking the major principle is a naturalness and slackness of movements. In the literature describing system of "pendulum", techniques âåëåñîâîé struggle (by the way, she reminds steps of drunk or very tired person which literally hardly "drags" legs), the similar scheme of breath is resulted: the exhalation is done on each step, the breath should turn out natural (it is not necessary to think of it).
4. At run it is necessary to breathe so-called "the dog breath", that is to do an exhalation up to The bottom level and to breathe in it, having divided it on three parts. When will feel weariness, it is possible to make some high breaths. Such type of breath should be cultivated constantly, on trainings and in a life: have sat down - an exhalation, have accepted impact - an exhalation, an inclination - an exhalation and so on.